President & Chief Executive Officer
Leadership Center of Excellence
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please.
WHO WE ARE
Leadership Center for Excellence (LCE) is a 23-year-old nonprofit organization headquartered in Arlington, Virginia whose mission is to enlighten, inspire and connect leaders through community building and leadership development. More than 1,600 leaders have graduated from the Leadership Arlington (LA), Ignite Young Professionals Program (IYPP), DMV Diversity and Inclusion Institute, and Leadership Arlington Youth Program (LAYP). We develop and train leaders across the Washington, D.C. metropolitan region through a multitude of programs that focus on personal and professional development for any stage of the leadership continuum.
By developing trained leaders who are committed to building, supporting, and strengthening our region, we foster a sense of community, visionary leadership, partnership, and collaboration that motivates participants to become agents of change. LCE serves as an integral part of our community, building leadership for the future, developing connections between the business, nonprofit and public sectors, and participating in balancing community dialogue for the common good. LCE team members work in a distributed environment, collaborating with fellow staff, vendors, community partners, and volunteers to design and deliver quality programs and events. Additional information may be found on our website at leadercenter.org.
HOW TO APPLY
All communications will be treated confidentially. Candidates must email a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with “LCE President & CEO” in the subject. Phone calls WILL NOT be accepted. Resumes will be accepted until the position is filled, but priority consideration will be given to resumes received by 5:00 p.m. on February 15, 2021.
PRESIDENT & CEO
This position is full-time, salaried and reports to the organization’s Board of Regents. The President & CEO will be a dedicated and seasoned professional leader with a keen sense of business development who is committed to the mission of LCE.
While the responsibilities will be varied, the following are core/major responsibilities for the President & CEO. The ability to:
- Cultivate and sustain effective relationships, built on trust and collaboration, new and current stakeholders, community partners across all sectors, and sponsors to advance the programmatic and financial priorities of the organization.
- Develop the strategic direction of LCE and, upon its approval by the Board, implement and ensure its effective operations, while keeping the Board informed in a timely manner of the progress of LCE on the achievement of or material deviations from the strategic goals.
- Provide leadership and support to the Board of Regents and its committees as well as report to the Board of Regents on the progress of the organization. Maintain strong relationships with the Board.
- Oversee the day-to-day operational, fiscal, and programmatic functions of the organization, ensuring LCE is managed in a sound and ethical manner.
- Create staff positions and source outside services based on need and as determined by strategic goals and financial sustainability. With clear roles and responsibilities, hire and lead team, ensuring ongoing attention to professional development and retention strategies.
- Assess the efficacy of all programs and seek ways to enhance the value proposition to all stakeholders and the greater community.
- Build upon the organization’s presence through cutting-edge and dynamic communications strategies, while also serving as the chief spokesperson for LCE, assuring proper representation of the organization to the community.
- Promote competency, quality, customer service, and the highest ethical standards throughout the organization.
- Maintain a climate that attracts, maintains, and motivates a diverse and talented staff, vendors, and volunteers.
EXPERIENCE AND ATTRIBUTES
- Bachelor’s degree with 10 or more years of experience in the areas of management and business development.
- Proven track record of using traditional and entrepreneurial business development practices.
- Demonstrated experience raising funds from multiple sources and in generating earned income in a nonprofit environment.
- A charismatic leader and an authentic and enthusiastic networker who embraces the opportunity to be the external face of the organization.
- A solid track record of successfully working across multiple sectors (corporate, nonprofit, and government).
- Ability to effectively communicate in a diverse environment across lines of culture, profession, gender, etc.
- Ability to lead and manage volunteers.
- Strong facilitation skills.
- Strong staff management skills and demonstrated experience building teams.
- Strong leadership development values and a solid understanding of the transformative impact leadership, community, and capacity building programs can have on an individual’s, organization’s or community’s well-being.
- Political neutrality.
This is not strictly a desk job. The applicant will be on his/her feet and moving at walking speed for prolonged periods of time for events and programs. Project management includes using hands to type, handle or feel objects, tools, or controls; talking to and hearing customers on the phone, and reading documents.
- Matching 401(k) program after one year of employment
- Vacation and sick leave allowance
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
LCE provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits unlawful discrimination and unlawful harassment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation or any other protected classes or categories as defined by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.