Northern Virginia 40 Under 40
Leadership Center for Excellence and Leadership Fairfax are proud to partner to recognize young leaders through the Northern Virginia 40 Under 40 program. This program celebrates emerging leaders who demonstrate exceptional and impactful leadership in their professional and personal spheres within the Northern Virginia region.
2023 40 Under 40
The nomination and application deadlines (January 5 and 12, 2023) have now passed for the 2023 Northern Virginia 40 Under 40 Honorees. Honorees will be announced in early February.
How it works
Individuals under 40 years old who are making an impact in Northern Virginia and meet the honoree criteria below are nominated by someone who works with the individual either in a professional or volunteer capacity (you may not nominate yourself). Then nominees are emailed an invitation to complete an application.
Nominations and applications are reviewed by an anonymous selection committee. The committee considers the honoree criteria, below. Selection is confidential.
After the selected honorees are notified, they prepare and submit a personal video statement on leadership (max 30 seconds), answering one of a set of questions.
The honorees are recognized at a free virtual celebration (all are welcome to attend), followed by an in-person reception (for honorees only).
- Thursday, January 5, 2023: Deadline for nominations.
- Thursday, January 12, 2023: Deadline for applications (must be nominated first).
- Tuesday, January 31, 2023: Applicants are notified (regardless of if they are selected as an honoree).
- Monday, February 6, 2023: Deadline for honorees to submit a video statement (instructions to be provided directly to honorees).
- Tuesday, February 7, 2023: Honorees announced.
- Friday, March 24, 2023: Honorees celebrated at a virtual event (11:00 am) and in-person reception (4:30 p.m. for honorees only) where awards will be presented. Honoree attendance is expected at both events.
Any nominations received after 11:59 p.m. ET on Thursday, January 5, 2023, or applications received after 11:59 p.m. ET on Thursday, January 12, 2023, will not be considered. Self-nominations are not allowed. Applications received prior to or without a nomination will also not be considered.
- Live or work in Northern Virginia (Alexandria City, Arlington County, Fairfax County, Falls Church City, Loudoun County, or Prince William County)
- Under the age of 40 as of March 24, 2023
- Complete nomination and application by the deadlines (listed above)
- Individual demonstrates impact in Northern Virginia through (1) professional and personal achievements, (2) civic engagement, (3) personal story
Leadership Center for Excellence and Leadership Fairfax affiliation is not required
Join us virtually on Friday, March 24, 2023, to celebrate the 2023 Northern Virginia 40 Under 40 honorees. This is a free event. The virtual event platform will open at 10:45 a.m. for virtual networking and the program will begin at 11:00 a.m.
2022 40 Under 40
On Friday, March 25, 2022, we had a virtual celebration for the 2022 Northern Virginia 40 Under 40 honorees. You can watch the recording below, or on YouTube.
40 Under 40 Honorees 2022
Christine Dondero Bettwy
Ellen Simon Volo
Tony Craddock, Jr.
Trayonna Floyd Hales
Ruba Marshood Afzal
Marilyn Nevy Cruz
40 Under 40 Honorees 2019
Robert Kemp Gouldin
Clarisse Mendoza Davis
40 Under 40 Honorees 2018
Clare Bresnahan English
40 Under 40 Honorees 2017
Amina Gilyard James
Aubreana Stephenson Holder
40 Under 40 Honorees 2016
Lori Ann Terjesen
40 Under 40 Honorees 2015
Beatriz Duque Long
Julie Huang Tucker
Eugene St. Clair
Alex Tremble, Jr.
40 Under 40 Honorees 2014
Elizabeth Jones Valderrama
Kate (Roche) Bates
Terron Sims, II